Sunday, August 8, 2021

My Quick Review of The Halal Guys

Yes, I live in San Francisco, and no, I didn't know about the Halal Guys as I didn't have a chance to get to them until I happen to find them recently. This is a review of their O'Farrell location. 

I have a weird work schedule that often requires me to find a meal late at night, and this particular location is near one of my late break areas that are still open. I've tried the beef "Sandwich" and the Chicken platter. Keep in mind that if you go in at late night they often may run out of some items, and one night when I showed up at about 9PM they are closed!?!  

The beef "sandwich" is really wrapped in thick pita "bread" that's soft and fluffy, but being that big, is not ideal wrap material. Still the ingredients are reasonably fresh and pretty tasty, but the trick seems to be all in their signature white sauce, which is where most of the calories seem to be from. They'll throw in a packet or two and if you read the label, that 2 oz packet is 330 calories (!) 

And the chicken platter is basically the same things albeit packed in an aluminum "bowl" with chicken added then sauce dripped all over it, plus a few bits of pita albeit cut into large "chips". If you are cutting down on carbs, this is probably what you should order. That's quite a bit of food. 

You can then add "sides" like extra olives, jalapeno peppers, and so on. 

I haven't tried their falafel yet, and if I go back again I would give them a try. 

They are expensive for fast food, but not outrageously so. Expect to have your wallet dinged for 12-18 depending on the number of options you added and/or if you ordered one of their specialty drinks (packaged a bit like the boba tea places). I personally skip the drink. 

They apparently only work with UberEasts, but not Grubhub. 

All in all, Halal guys deliver a satisfying meal of chicken or beef (or falafel, not reviewed) and they open till late night for your midnight hungers. If you live in the area, definitely give them a try. 

No comments: