Saturday, November 27, 2021

Dumb Product Manual: Where's the command to switch the language?

Most electronics are now made in China, and while English is the most widely used language, Chinese is not far behind. So it'd make sense for Bluetooth headsets with verbal status messages to have both Chinese and English audio prompts. 

But when the manual did not include how to switch between them, that's a problem. 

I have a pair of Dacom BoneBudz, a bone conduction headset that does not rely on a spring-band to force them onto your temples. So it is not limited by the band size, unlike all the other versions out there. And trust me, I've tried many different ones, even the "adjustable" ones. 

It had always operated in English, so the other day, when I had somehow accidentally switched it into Chinese mode, I was surprised. Now, I speak Chinese fluently, so this is not a problem, but I prefer my electronics to operate in English, so I want it switched back. 

So I went about looking for the manual... I can't find the paper version... I somehow did not put it back in the box. ARGH! 

So Google to the rescue, and a manual scan is available on the FCC website. So I download a copy and read it. Except it made NO mention of language switching. The manual itself is available in four languages, but I don't read Japanese or Russian. And neither the Chinese or English manual mentioned language switching. ARGH!!!!

I went to the Chinese website and clicked on support, and was able to dig up additional instructions in Chinese that are NOT in the manual. 

While in pairing mode, fast-tap MFB (multi-function button) twice to toggle between English and Chinese

While in pairing mode, fast-tap MFB three times to reset device, which will switch off. 

Tried switching language several times, I heard two beeps, but the language didn't change. 

So I tried the reset. Did it a couple times, until it finally turned off. Turned it back on, voila, English! 

So if you own a pair of Dacom BoneBudz, and you need to switch languages, now you know how. 

No comments: