Friday, December 25, 2020

Random Item Reviews: Two Bluetooth headsets, one's great, other one's bad

 Recently, I decided to upgrade my personal audio by going to replaceable "ear buds". That means I can exchange the buds with something that has the same connector, even though they will sound different due to different amount of drivers inside, different material, and tuning. And no, I don't mean the tips, but the actual buds. Tips are either silicone or memory foam. I mean the buds behind them, either .078 mm or MMCX. (There is also 0.75, but those are very rare). 

Anyway, I bought a set of KZ ZSN Pro X which advertises itself as "dynamic driver AND balanced armature" dual driver design. Looks pretty good, sounds pretty good. But I want wireless, so I bought a KZ Bluetooth 5 "upgrade wire", which basically means you can unplug the earbuds from the original wired setup, into this "upgrade wire" and voila, you now have Bluetooth! 

I figured it can't be that bad, can it? 

Turns out, their own Bluetooth adapter sucks big time. It actually plays background noise that is VERY noticeable. You can hear it as it times out, and the noise drops to zero. VERY noticeable. 

I ordered a different one, and this one is much better: FiiO LC-BT2. Yes, a neckband headset that can last 24 hours (roughly), and it supports 0.78 earbuds (a different version supports MMCX), AND all the advanced BT codec on the market, including AAC, AptX, AptXHD, etc.) 

And yes, it's great. 


No comments: