Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Somewhat Interesting Pursuits: Men's Cologne

Man's cologne is an interesting world that you may have to do a deep dive in just to see how deep it is. And let's just say, for someone who rarely if ever thinks about this topic, it's... complicated. 

Did you know men's cologne (or perfume) were sold in FIVE different concentrations? From weakest to strongest: Eau Fraiche, Eau de Cologne (EDC), Eau de toilette (EDT), Eu de Parfum (EDP), Parfum. 

Did you know fragrance can be measured in 3 ways: projection (how far the scent travels), sillage (how long it lingers in the air), and longevity (how long it lasts on the skin of the wearer)? 

Did you know even men's cologne have seasons, and different scents work better for different seasons? Summer fragrances have more lighter notes, while winter fragrances have more base notes. 

Did you know that some men's cologne costs like several hundred dollars per ounce, while others can cost as little as $20, and I am talking name brand fragrances, not the dollar store knock-offs? 

Did you know that men's fragrances can be classified by application? Like casual, office, date, and so on? 

No, I didn't know ANY of that. (And I learned most of it from this link)

I thought about my own situation. I am almost nose-blind to subtle scents and let's just say my "men's cologne" knowledge is limited to Stetson and Old Spice. (!)  I really thought I leveled up when I discovered solid cologne. But turns out I have much much more to learn. 

I may have to buy some "cologne sampler" for men and see which ones I like better. They are fairly expensive... $3.00 for each tester sample (so 12 for $36 on Amazon), but it's an interesting world to know. 

Oh, and a personal atomizer is a thing too. 

No comments: