Friday, August 20, 2021

OPINION: The Jeopardy Host Controversy

To be honest, I didn't keep track of the Jeopardy Host Succession War much. In my mind, Alex Trebek will always be the host to remember, and there are some BIG shoes to fill for the next host. 

Do I have a favorite? Yes, LeVar Burton, mainly because I know of him from ST:TNG, and a few episodes of Reading Rainbow. But let's be fair, Burton is not as SMOOTH a host as some of the other guest hosts. I think the excitement got to him. 

But Frankly, who is Mike Richards? Yes, he was the exec producer, but this seems to be his bid to get in front of the camera instead of behind it. And the whole thing just "smells" funny, even if he did not do anything funny. 

Mayim Bialik... Not bad, certainly SMOOTHER than Burton. 

But why NOT Ken Jennings, who had been guest hosting the longest? And former champ?  

The most surprising? Aaron Rodgers. Yes, the American footballer. I am not sure he wants to make a career of hosting Jeopardy, but he can be an interesting guest host from time to time, assuming he wants to spend more time off sports. 

Not that Richards is out, and Mayim may be in a bit of hot water regarding her previous unscientific views on certain things, I think Jennings is right behind Mayim. Burton... a distant third choice, IMHO. 

No comments: