Saturday, February 27, 2021

Magnetic cables: why would vendors just let someone else sell it?

Back in 2018, I bought a set of magnetic cables from "AS" via Amazon for my phone. It was the best cable set I ever bought, no kidding. Yes, even better than those Anker armored cables with Kevlar. Why? Because the plug separates from the cable, so it cannot be "stressed", so it is practically unbreakable. The plug that goes into the port can be damaged (and I've damaged at least 2), but that's a different problem. I bought another set a few months later, and I've bought extra tips for type C and MicroUSB for my other devices and spares. And I've used it until now without issues. The connection is for both data AND charging (a lot of magnetic cables are charging only). 

So at the end of 2020, I want to buy another set as a backup, only to find that the company had CHANGED the item. The original item I ordered was changed to their "new generation" cable with a ROUND tip. The version I had was FLAT tip. Clearly, they are not compatible.

Round tip version, sold by AS
used same SKU as the old flat tip version

Flat tip version, now sold by a different vendor

I had previously bought another set of "magnetic tip adapters", which lets you "convert" an existing microUSB cable into a detachable tip cable. Unfortunately, this tip has the opposite polarity from the AS cables. You can't exchange the tips. 

I eventually found the "old" flat tip version of cable sold by "Smart and Cool". I did order it, and yes, it's the same cable, as they paired right up to my existing tips. And they are even a few dollars cheaper as they did not come with iPhone "lightning" tips.  

The "round tip" type cable, arguably, is probably better, as it will pair up no matter what orientation. The "older" flat version that I wanted will only pair two ways: right side up, or upside down.  But it is that much of a bother to hold the cable in a somewhat right orientation? 

And why would one vendor just drop the old SKU altogether? In a way, it is to game the Amazon ratings. By replacing the product, they can keep the old product's ratings and reviews, even though it's a different product, and Amazon has done nothing to combat this misrepresentation. 


No comments: