Monday, May 27, 2024

Weird Limitation on this 3 knob 11 key macroboard...

A while back, I'm not sure where, I picked up this macro keyboard that has 3 rotating encoders (knobs) and 11 keys. However, I can't find a use for it at the time, so I put it back in the box. (I actually also have a single knob 6 key version I probably bought off Temu)  Now that I dug it out again, I start to wonder what can I do with it. 

Took me a while, but I FINALLY found the right driver for it. It was made by Videyt, but their download website is NOT well designed. The software listed next to the device actually will NOT work. I had to download the version just above it, the "upgraded" version's software, to see the device. 

And somehow Chrome won't finish the download. Had to bring out Firefox to download the file correctly. 

Then there's the problem of setting "layers". You see, while the software claims to support 3 layers of settings, there seems to be no key or keymapping in the software that lets you toggle through the layers. 

It wasn't until I find better description of the device that I realize there isn't one. There is an EXTERNAL button that toggles among the 3 layers. The button was so tiny and recessed flat I thought it was a reset or Bluetooth pairing request button. It wasn't until I saw a diagram that labelled the LED as layer indicator that I realized there's only a manual switch. Yes, I know this is not an exact match, but it's close enough. And yes, mine has RGB lights... and Bluetooth. 

Probably should have paid a bit more so I can get one that's compatible with GMK or VIA firmware... so I can toggle layers via one of the keys, not a switch. Hahaha. Still, those are like $70-100, whereas this one... is about $35-45. (The little 1 knob 6 key one is like... $10-15?)


ed

No comments: